Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Rescuing Leftover Blah #trayf

I made a dish for a cookout, which was a disappointment. The dish, not the cookout. It was potatoes and flat-leaf kale, boiled together and seasoned with salt and vegan margarine. Okay, all you non-vegan/vegetarians, I don't wanna hear it. Most vegan/vegetarian food is goo-ood, but this was kind of blah.

Part of it is that flat-leaf kale doesn't have any body to it, and seems (to me) to be milder in flavor than curly kale. I think pepper would have helped, or replacing the salt with some zesty Mrs. Dash, but Charlie doesn't like pepper and spice, so that was out.

ANYWAY, I had some left.

Since Charlie and I aren't vegetarian, we have some bacon, and I chopped some of that and fried it. When that was nearly done, I added the potatoes and kale and browned them. Meanwhile, I beat a few eggs with milk, salt, and marjoram. Poured that over the potatoes/kale/bacon. I covered it until it was set, then flipped it to brown the other side.
It worked! It was actually delicious!

From now on, though, I'm sticking with the curly kale.

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

I was trying to consider how a vegetarian meal could be treyf- but you ensured it!

Marian Allen said...

As the kids used to say when they were wee, we be's bad.