Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Oxtail-less Soup #Vegan

This started out to be mushroom soup, but, as my grandpappy used to say, "There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip."

I had these old, worn-out mushrooms, see. I buy mushrooms, but I don't always cook them right away. If you don't cover your mushrooms tightly, they dry out, which is better than covering them and letting them get all slimy and manky. A little bit dry, they're still good for cooking.

These turned out to be more than a little bit dry. If they were any drier, they'd have been buried in a pyramid with gold and dead cats and stuff.

ANYWAY, I put them in a pot of water and Not Chick'n vegan bouillon. Well, first. Wait a minnit. Here's a picture:
Here's what-all I ended up putting in this puppy:
  • (VERY) dried mushrooms
  • chopped onions
  • coconut oil
  • smoked paprika
  • turmeric
  • water
  • Not Chick'n cubes
  • diced celery
  • chopped parsely
  • barley
  • red wine
  • tomato paste
  • lemon grass
Yeah, that's WAY more ingredients than I usually work with, but I wasn't working, I was fiddling.

Here's what I did:
Heat the oil and fry the onions and spices gently until the onions are translucent and softened and the spices are fragrant. Add the water, mushrooms, celery, and cubes. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Now, I simmered this stuff for, like, hours, but you don't have do, I guess. Add the rest of the ingredients.

All quantities are to taste. We didn't like the mushrooms; they never did soften up and they were just too damn chewy. You might like them. In fact, you can have ours, 'cause we sure didn't eat them.

But the broth tasted EXACTLY like Oxtail Soup! Which we love, but don't eat anymore! I'm pretty sure the dried mushrooms were vital to the overall flavor, so I may try it again with less desiccated specimens.

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

quenee gonzales said...

To give you more ingredients of different kinds of sweets cakes check this outhttps://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Oil-Pets-Certified-Cold-pressed/dp/B00M7PENFE/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1476928483&sr=8-4&keywords=coconut+oil+for+pets