Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Eats Shoots -- Yours Truly, Not A Panda

Do you eat shoots? I eat shoots. Some shoots.

Bamboo shoots, for which I do not care, are just what they sound like--shoots of bamboo plants. Fresh bamboo shoots are said to have a mild taste. The milder, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I've had them fresh and I've had them canned, and I like the crunch but not the flavor. 

Bean sprouts, on the other hand, are lovely. I've never met a bean sprout I didn't like. I even have sacks of alfalfa and mung bean seeds in my freezer so I can sprout my own. My only sorrow is that it takes days for sprouts to mature, and when I want them, I want them NOW. Thus do I learn patience. 

I like alfalfa sprouts on sandwiches, but my husband always asks me to "leave the grass off" for him. Water chestnuts, to which I am extremely partial, are nut-like and crunchy.

Linked from Lynn Truss web site.
In case you don't get the reference in the title, EATS, SHOOTS & LEAVES is a  "stickler-tickling punctuation polemic" by Lynn Truss, pictured here. The title demonstrates the importance of correct punctuation, yes? Because that's what a panda does, right? Eats shoots and leaves?

Oh -- and if you want a cheap, legal high sometime, watch Panda! Go Panda! It will Trip. You. Out.

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes 

4 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

I'M with you, Marian. Bamboo belongs in the yard or on top of my suka, not on my plate.

Marian Allen said...

On top of your what?

bookworm said...

I don't like bamboo shoots, and I don't like sprouts, either. Have never eaten panda, though. (Did I gross anyone out?) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

Marian Allen said...

Eat a PANDA? Ewwwwww! *grossed out* lol