Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Easy Peasy Mackaneasy Garlic Dill Pickles

I love pickles on sandwiches. For some reason, I like strips of pickles more than I like little round pickles; I think they commercial johnnies call them "sandwich pickles," which makes all kindsa sense to me.

Our #3 Daughter works with a woman who grows cucumbers, and she always sends sacks of cucumbers to us via #3. I make pickles, keep some, and send the rest to #3 and The Cucumber Lady.

This year, I couldn't find my regular recipe, but I found an even easier one in Irma S. Rombauer's The Joy of Cooking (1946 edition). You can find some of her recipes, with wine pairings, here.

You don't even have to brine the cucumbers first in this one; you just cut them however you want to (I cut them into wedges and chunks for #3 and TCL and sliced them longways for me) and pack them in sterile jars along with 1 clove garlic and 1 li'l bunch of dill weed. Irma says to also put in 6 peppercorns and 1 clove, but I'm like, seriously? Just no.

Mix:
  • 2 quarts vinegar
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 cup coarse salt
Bring it to a boil. Fill the cucumber jars and screw on the lids. Let them cool. I always keep them in the refrigerator. Irma says to wait 5 days before using the pickles, to give them time to "ripen."
Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

Cerebrations.biz said...

Sorry, Marian...
That's NOT a sour pickle. It may be an acrid cuke, but...