Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Cabbage FAIL, Cabbage WIN Part 1, Not #Vegan But Could Be

So Charlie and I went to the grocery a few days before New Year, and there was cabbage stacked to the ceiling in two stacks. Due to a mutual miscommunication, neither one of us picked up any cabbage!

I don't know about where you live, but around here we eat cabbage, pork, and black-eyed peas on New Year Day.

So I went back to the store on New Year Eve -- and ALL the cabbage was gone! The produce manager was apologetic and said he'd had an earful from people who had missed their chance. Me, I commiserated with him and bought a package of slaw mix and a purple cabbage.

Here's what I made with the slaw mix. Tomorrow on my blog, I'll post what I did with the purple cabbage.
We had some locally sourced sausage, which I chopped up and browned. Then I threw in a bunch of the slaw mix and some vegan margarine. Vegan "sausage" would also work.

Charlie was like, "Mmm! It has carrots in it, too!"

We had black-eyed peas on the side: slow-cooked some chopped onions in some olive oil until the onions are tender and translucent. Drain the peas and put them in the pan. Salt to taste and heat, mashing slightly. Heaven!

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

bookworm said...

Slaw mix - why not? Happy it worked out for you. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com