Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Thin Mushroom Soup For Charlie #Vegan #GF

Charlie (my husband) loves thin broths and I love stews, so we generally compromise and make soup and he skims off the juice and I eat the food.

But this time, I decided to make a treat for him. It's a thin mushroom soup, rich with flavor.

Thin Mushroom Soup
  • vegan margarine
  • mushrooms, chopped
  • onions, chopped
  • garlic clove, peeled but whole
  • celery, sliced
  • water
  • vegan vegetarian bouillon
  • parsley and sage, minced
  • mushrooms, thinly sliced 
Melt margarine in a stockpot. Add the garlic, onions, and chopped mushrooms and cook on low until the onions are translucent and tender. This takes maybe 15 minutes on very low heat. You want to render down the mushroom flavor and to tenderize and sweeten the onion without browning anything, and you don't want the garlic to brown and get strong. Add the celery, water, bouillon, and herbs; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. I meant to put some shredded Gruyere on top, but I forgot, and it didn't need it!

Charlie and I both loved it a lot!

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: