Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Corn Cakes #Vegetarian

These have eggs in them, so they aren't vegan, unless you use an egg substitute. I have some, but I've never tried it, so I can't say how that would turn out. These turned out guuuuuuud.
Charlie taught me how to make these. Then he forgot, because I did the cooking after we were married, and I got to teach it back to him. :)

Adjust the amounts of everything to suit your own taste, of course.

Corn Cakes
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 scant Tbs baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup BUTTERMILK (or milk with 1/4 tsp white vinegar stirred in)
  • about 1/4 tsp salt
  • vegan margarine

Mix everything except the margarine and let it sit a few minutes for the cornmeal to absorb some of the milk. You'll have to stir it up before you cook it. Melt margarine in a large skillet. When the skillet is hot, drop batter by the 1/4 cup into the skillet, probably no more than 4 to a batch. Fry until the bubbles on top pop and the edges are brown. Turn over and finish frying, adding more margarine, if necessary.

Great with what I'm posting about on my own blog tomorrow. :)

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: