Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Eggy Spinach Thing #vegetarian

I made this, and it was very good:

I forget what it's called, but the base of it is Choux pastry -- the same thing you make cream puffs from.

Choux
  • 1/8 cup butter (or vegan margarine)
  • 1/4 cup water
Bring to a boil. Add:
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Remove from heat, stirring till ball forms. Let rest 5 minutes, then add:
  • 1 egg
  • bit of ground mustard
  • cheese of your choice
I did something not quite right, so it doesn't look like it's supposed to. Don't know if I used too much shortening or didn't let it cool long enough. As my grandpa used to say, "It didn't hurt the eatin' of it."

Okay. Now.

Spoon the choux around the edges of a buttered baking dish. Fill the center with veg. Cauliflower is nice. I used spinach and mushrooms. Top it with cheese.

Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes or so, maybe longer. It looks like it isn't going to do anything, then it starts to puff up and rises around the veg.

Um yum!

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: