Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Is Your Sugar #Vegan ? Do You Care?

I don't use much sugar except occasionally to sweeten tea, so I have no problem substituting Turbinado sugar for white sugar. Why do I want to?

I learned, to my sorrow, that cane sugar is (not invariably, but frequently) whitened by filtering it through bone char. That's charred bones. The bone char is so processed by the time it gets to work filtering sugar, it barely qualifies as an animal product -- kind of like Spam or Velveeta. But still.

Beet sugar doesn't have to be filtered with bone char, but, while some sugars proudly label themselves "cane sugar," I have yet to find one that labels itself "beet sugar". Wonder why?

Let me reiterate, since people don't seem to believe me: I AM NOT A VEGAN. I just cook like one on the internet. Actually, as I've said before, we have a vegan daughter, so I like to make my kitchen as free of culinary booby-traps for her as possible.

Besides: bone char. Even I ain't that Goth.

While researching this post, I learned that Whole Foods has a cane sugar that is not only filtered through non-animal charcoal, it's part of the Whole Trade Guarantee:
  • Meet our high quality standards
  • Provide more money to producers
  • Ensure better wages and working conditions for workers
  • Care for the environment
To sweeten the deal, we also donate 1% of all Whole Trade product sales to the Whole Planet Foundation, which funds micro-credit loans around the world with the mission to help end world poverty.

Way cool!

What kind of sugar do you use?

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: