Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Retro Diner Party

Saturday, I had a retro diner themed party for my daughter's sixth birthday. This nostalgic theme would be fun for any age. The inspiration for this theme was a black and whiter checkerboard floor my husband put in our garage. I thought the floor looked just like a kitschy diner. Most of the food was fairly standard, except for the ice cream float table. I offered a variety of sodas in an icy steel tub. Another tub had individual cups of vanilla ice cream. There were also striped straws, cherries, whipped cream and sprinkles on the float table. I added hot pink and turquoise to the black and white backdrop. Balloons, plastic tablecloths, paper plates and napkins brought in the color. Table centerpieces were old soda fountain glasses filled with various candies (cotton candy, jelly beans, bubble gum, etc.). Each glass had a Pixie Stick to look like a straw. On the walls, I taped "records" made from black dessert plates and a couple of bright posters. I embellished some of the decor with rhinestone strips from a dollar store. Treat bags were cellophane sacks of gum balls tied up with ribbon. Since we store one of our Christmas trees in the garage, I hung the treat bags from the tree. My next party will be completely different. My older daughter has chosen a HUNGER GAMES theme for her party later this month.