Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Macs and Peas #vegetarian #food

What can vegetarians eat? Oh, such delicious things!

We had a cold snap here, and I craved some hearty comfort food. So I made macaroni and cheese and buttery peas and it was like stuffing my tummy with a flannel blanket. Only, you know, digestible.

This is whole wheat elbow macaroni. Okay, you cook and drain that. Butter a casserole. Put in a layer of macaroni. Sprinkle it liberally with flour. Conservatives, you can sprinkle it double-conservatively instead. Sprinkle on some salt. If you like pepper, sprinkle on some pepper. Cover that with a layer of shredded cheese; I used sharp cheddar and 3-cheese Italian blend. Do another layer of all those. Top it with a final layer of macaroni and cheese. Pour in some milk until you can spot the milk coming through the macaroni. Dot the top with butter or margarine. Cover with foil. Bake at 350F for about an hour. If you like crusty cheese, take the foil off and let the top toast.

Charlie doesn't like pepper, so I leave the pepper out and add it to my plate at the table. Oh, my goodness, that was good!

Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes