Monday, July 14, 2014

The only way to eat zucchini! by Joyce Lavene

Zucchini Bread – The only way to eat zucchini!
By Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com 









I’m not a big fan of zucchini. But I have a lot of friends, family, and neighbors who grow it and want to give it away. I’m not sure if this is because THEY don’t want to eat it either, or they just grow too much.

Whatever the reason, I end up with a lot of zucchini every year. The only way I’ve found to eat it (without deep frying) is making it into bread. It’s not too bad this way, and you can freeze the bread and give it as gifts to the people who gave you the zucchini!

Here’s my recipe:

Grease the bottoms of 2 loaf pans with shortening or cooking spray.

Mix 3 cups of shredded zucchini with a cup and a half of sugar (or equivalent sweetener), 2/3 cup vegetable oil, 2 tsp. vanilla, 4 eggs, 3 cups of flour, 2 tsp. baking soda (unless you use self-rising flour), 1 tsp cinnamon, and ½ tsp. ground cloves. Or use 2 tsps. pumpkin pie spice. Mix well.

I like nuts and raisins in my bread. If you do too, add ½ cup chopped nuts, and ½ cup raisins to batter. 

 Then divide the batter between the 2 pans.

Bake for an hour or do the toothpick inserting thing to check if it’s done. Cool.

Slide bread out of pans and wrap with plastic. Eat within a few days or store in freezer for up to a few weeks.

Bewitching Boots by Joyce and Jim Lavene will be out on August 5th! This is the 7th book in the Renaissance Faire Mysteries. To read an excerpt: www.joyceandjimlavene.com

Freebies? Updates? Subscribe:




No comments: