Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fridge/Freezer/Pantry Month

For me, summer means swimming, softball, vacation and a semi-hiatus from grocery shopping. Between out-of-town trips and a sporadic schedule, summer is the time of year when I do not cook dinner as often. Several years ago, I began mostly shopping for things like fresh produce, milk, bread and eggs in the month of June. Otherwise, I rely on what is already in my fridge, freezer and cabinets. It cuts down on things spoiling when we are gone, saves a bundle and forces my creative cooking skills! Last night, we ate the talapia filets I had in the freezer. Since, my kids are not fish fans, they had loaded baked potatoes and a salad topped with croutons (made from toasted burger buns) and frozen green peas. The only newly purchased ingredients that went into the meal were salad greens and a cucumber. As use up what we have, I toss out expired food. It is meal planning, cost cutting and cleaning all rolled into one!

No comments: