Monday, May 26, 2014

Birthday Soup - By Joyce Lavene

Birthday Soup
By Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com









My son, Christopher, and I read the Little Bear book Birthday Soup many times when he was growing up. I read it to him first and then he read it to me. We both loved all of author Else Holmelund Minarik's Little Bear books.

So now he always makes me soup for my birthday. I LOVE it!

This year he made me vegetarian hot and sour soup. It's his own recipe. He's a wonderful pizza chef, but he is equally talented with other foods.



My hot and sour soup was delicious, as always. Here is Christopher's recipe.

Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup

2 tsp. red pepper sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
2 eggs slightly beaten
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup bamboo shoots
1/4 cup sliced tofu
1/8 tsp ground ginger
4 cups vegetable broth
1-1/2 tbsp soy sauce
Two eggs,s lightly beaten

Heat broth, vinegar, and soy sauce
Stir in bamboo, mushrooms and tofu.
Heat to boiling, and then simmer five minutes.

Mix cornstarch with cold water.
Add to soup.

Add pepper, red pepper sauce, sesame oil, ginger and onion.
Bring to hard boil - IMPORTANT!

Slowly add eggs to soup, stirring constantly with a fork. This should form long threads.

Thanks for the birthday soup, Christopher! It was delicious!

Chris at his pizza oven.


My new book? LETHAL LILY - # 8 in the Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries.
Take a peek: www.peggyleegardenmysteries.com



1 comment:

Christopher Lavene said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the soup! Happy birthday!