Monday, February 10, 2014

What do you eat at on snow days? by Joyce Lavene

What do you eat on snow days?
By Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com 

We've all had so many snow days recently, even in the southern part of the U.S. It can get a little tiresome after a while.

Still, you have to eat - even when it snows. That can be a problem when snow hits on the day you're supposed to shop. I try to keep a few things in the pantry that I know we like, special things we don't normally eat.

Snow cream is good for a few minutes. What then? I keep some extra rich mac and cheese around that I replace when we use it. Yes, it is in a box, but when you don't have power for long, that can be a blessing. 

I also keep some packets of strawberries and cream oatmeal on hand, along with other instant meals that only require hot water. They can be good and warm, and my Sterno tank doesn't get worn out boiling water!

Speaking of water, I lose mine when the power goes out, so i also keep some extra water around. It's hard to do anything without water.

If I do shop right before I know bad weather is coming, I go for things other than milk and bread. Cookies are good. Soups. Crackers and cheese. Hard rolls. Definitely chocolate!

A snow day is better when you have something you don't usually eat when you have to stay home. I really like some hot chocolate with some creme de cocoa in it while I watch the snow fall.

To each his, or her, own!

Look for our new short story, UNDEAD BY MORNING, the first story in the Taxi for the Dead Paranormal Mysteries.

And coming  March 4th, the novel, BROKEN HEARTED GHOUL.




No comments: