Monday, February 24, 2014

Gardein, and comfort food

Gardein, and comfort food
By Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com








It was nice during the cold weather to be able to make some good comfort food. Gardein Foods, which makes several different varieties of vegetarian meatless products, was a big help with this.



We have only recently been able to buy Gardein products in the Charlotte, NC area, and I love them already. There is orange chicken, and crispy chicken strips. The beef tips are my fave. They make easy beef stew, and vegetable soup. I made beef stroganoff while we were enjoying the snow.

It's best to defrost the beef tips first. They are pre-cooked. I cut them into pieces so they aren't such big chunks. After that, I saute in a little olive oil, maybe a tablespoonful.

As they are cooking, I add 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/2 onion, finely diced. Add 1 cup of water to the mixture and turn down the heat. let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

This will make a nice brown gravy base to which I add 1 cup of sour cream, 2 teaspoons parsley, and 1/2 cup mushrooms.

Let this simmer together for a few more minutes, and then remove from heat.

I serve with wide noodles, but it is also good with mashed potatoes.

Deelish!



Next week - my recipe for the orange carrots in this picture!



My new release is Broken Hearted Ghoul - the first book in the Taxi for the Dead Paranormal Mysteries.


No comments: