Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Effortless Chocolate Mousse

When I say "effortless," I mean effortless. As in, "without effort." Okay, you do have to go to Kroger and buy a quart of Chocolate Paradise Deluxe ice cream. But, once you get home, all you have to do is put it in the refrigerator instead of the freezer.

See, it got too cold for ice cream to be appetizing, so I took the Chocolate Paradise out of the freezer and put it in the fridge so it could melt. The kids used to stir their ice cream around and around in their bowls until it melted; they called the melted ice cream "clever juice," for some reason.

I figured, I'll just melt this puppy down and have a quart of clever juice to jazz up my coffee or pour over angel food cake or over fruit.

But, when I opened the container, this is what I found.
Chocolate mousse. The "ice cream" is thickened and texturized with cellulose gel, cellulose gum, locust bean gum, and carrageenan (Irish moss -- yes, real moss from real Ireland).

At first, I was like, Ewwww -- Nasty! And then I was like, How cool is that? I'm keeping this little trick in my back pocket, and I'm going to try it with other flavors.

Unexpected guest show up and you want to give them dessert but not ice cream? Put a quart of ice cream in the fridge to mousse up, spoon it into dessert cups with crumbled graham crackers or crushed nuts or peanut butter or whatever. Or layer two or more flavors.

DUDE, right?

After a few days, it collapses into clever juice, so now I have my yummy liquid to pour over or into stuff. It's all good. As long as it's chocolate.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: