Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas Package Cheese Snack


The holiday season is here and time to catch up with friends and some cozy family bonding. For me, Christmas and New Year means lavish family luncheons, dinners and lots of fun.  Well, it can be fun only when the planning is done in advance for the big day. I generally make a checklist of the menu and arrangements at least a week ahead so that I am not caught in a mess when the guests arrive. This year, however, we have planned a potluck lunch at our friends’ place. I am all excited with the luncheon just a week away. I have already planned on my dress and accessories. Deciding what to take was quite tricky. I thought of cakes, cookies, pastries... but it was all either too strenuous or something very common.

So I decided I was going to make something like a usual snack but with a unique twist. I was racking my mind on what to contribute to the potluck, something which would be light and yet enjoyed by everyone.

I decided to make a delicious cheese log. How I wish my grandmother was here. She would just make these cheese logs in a jiffy and serve them fresh with a unique presentation always. I was going to try one of her innovations and present each of the blocks like a gift package.

I started Googling to find a cheese log recipe, and believe it or not, I stumbled upon one recipe in perfect grandmother style.

Christmas Package Cheese Snack



Ingredients

·         8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)

·         1/2 teaspoon dried dill

·         1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

·         1/8 teaspoon salt

·         Scallion

·         Red bell pepper

 Method

1.    Mix the dried dill, garlic powder, and salt into the softened cream cheese.

2.    Pack the mixture into a rectangular container lined with plastic wrap (you can reuse the cream cheese box).

3.    Refrigerate it for at least 3 hours. Before serving time, set the unwrapped block of cheese on a platter and decorate it with a scallion bow and red pepper polka dots and gift tag.

 

No comments: