Monday, November 25, 2013

'Tis the season - for sugar-free eggnog! By Joyce Lavene





Sugar-free Eggnog
By Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com









When I was a kid, we never drank eggnog until New Year's Eve. Today, you can't get eggnog in the store after Christmas. I'm not sure what happened.

I recently found out that I am diabetic. It's borderline right now, but having two other diabetics - my Dad and my husband - in the family, I know what a challenge this is. I'm not going to push my luck.

So I've cut back on sugar. I'm trying to eat better, and I'm working out. I may even lose a few pounds - no guarantees on that!

But that bring me back to the eggnog.

I really enjoy a fresh, cold glass of eggnog this time of year. I was afraid I might have to give that up, but I found a very good recipe that has helped me through.

Sugar-free Eggnog

Mix 1/2 cup Eggbeaters with 1 cup of low fat milk. Add two tablespoons of sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix. Use 1/4 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice and a few packets of sweetener (your choice).

This is really good with one of those glasses with the top that you can shake things in, or you can use a whisk. Refrigerate for half an hour and enjoy!


Why eggbeaters? Because they’re pasteurized so you don’t have to cook the eggnog.


Can you add rum to this? By all means! But remember that a  lot of alcohol isn’t good for your glucose levels! You can add rum flavoring for the same taste (but not effect!)

Yum!

Look for Murderous Matrimony, book 6 in the Renaissance Faire Mysteries. available now at Amazon.
www.renaissancefairemysteries.com 









December 3rd: Hero's Journey from Berkley Prime Crime
www.jjcook.net 

No comments: