Monday, October 21, 2013

Marshmallows anyone can roast! By Joyce Lavene

Marshmallows anyone can roast
By Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com









For many years, having our Friday night bonfire has been difficult for the vegan and vegetarian members
of my family. I don't feel as sorry for the adult members of our family as for the kids. What is a bonfire without roasting marshmallows?

Making S'more,s and watching the marshmallows get all brown and puffy is a delight. And I'm pleased to say that now vegans and vegetarians can also enjoy this time-honored tradition.

These marshmallows are awesome! They taste really good. They're gooey and crispy when you eat them. They roast just fine on a stick over a fire.



Wondering why vegans and vegetarians can't eat regular marshmallows? It's the gelatin, just like in Jello.

"Gelatin is a mixture of peptides and proteins produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the skin, bones, and connective tissues of animals such as domesticated cattlechickenpigs, and fish. Food-grade gelatin is produced mainly from two raw materials, beef skin and pig hide. Photographic and pharma grades of gelatin are generally made from beef bones, although some beef bone gelatin is used by the food industry. Gelatin is an animal protein unlike many other gelling agents used by the food industry."

Yummy, right?

Anyway, for obvious reasons, people who don't eat meat, don't eat gelatin. The only place I've been able to find these is online, but that's okay.

Back to the marshmallows. These are very good and will suit your purpose. Now I'm going to make a fire and roast some!

Happy Halloween!




1 comment:

DarcĂ­a Helle said...

I've been a vegetarian for a long time and never heard of these. I'll have to look for them. My husband loves to make Rice Krispies treats, but I won't touch them because of the marshmallow. I haven't eaten one since I was a kid. Might be nice to taste one again!

Thanks for sharing. :)