Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Importance of Presentation

I wish I could find an attribution for this quote, but it may just be one of those things "they" say: We eat with our eyes first. That means that, if we're presented with two plates of food, and we don't know what they are, and we can't smell, and we don't know who cooked them.... Okay, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Because I know people who, if I know they made the food, I don't care if it looks like Johnny Depp, I ain't havin' none of it.

BUT MY POINT IS, a nice presentation enhances food. My grandpa used to say, if he or anybody else made a dish that didn't look as nice as expected, "That don't hurt the eatin' of it." Or maybe he would say, "Messy but nourishin'."

Nevertheless, a pretty presentation is an extra bit of happy. Like this:
Ain't nothin' in the world but tomatoes and cucumbers, but it was so colorful and fresh, looking at it was a treat even before we dug into it.

So I guess we ate with our eyes first.

Marian Allen
Come visit me at my blog:
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: