Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Heavenly Eggplant AKA Mirza Ghassemi

I saw this recipe in the paper. Frankly, the picture didn't look very appetizing, but I'd had the dish in a restaurant and knew it tasted better than it looks, so I saved the clipping.

My ever-loving husband isn't too crazy about eggplant (I luurrrrvvvzz it), so I made this while he was away for lunch.

Oh. Em. Gee. It was even better than the restaurant's!

Here is the recipe, although I cut it way down, since the recipe is for 6 and I was eating alone.

Mirza Ghassemi 
(Persian Eggplant Casserole)
  • 2 medium eggplants
  • 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter or shortening
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
Roast the eggplants until brown or roast in a 400-degree oven until brown on the outside and soft on the inside (test with a fork). Cool and peel. Mash the pulp.

Sauté the onions and garlic in the butter or shortening until golden brown. Stir in the turmeric.

Add the eggplant pulp and sauté briefly, stirring well.

Add the salt and pepper.

Stir tomato into the eggplant.

Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.

Pour eggs over the eggplant. When the eggs start to solidify, stir briefly and serve.

Serves 6.

I had some puppodums I thought would be good with it, and the one I cooked turned up puffing into a bowl shape, so I plopped the doin's into it.
It's also food day at my blog. I invite you to hop on over and see what's cookin'.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Misha Gericke said...

This recipe sounds awesome! And healthy. Bookmarking it. :-)

Marian Allen said...

Oh, PLEASE try it! I thought it would be just a faint echo of the restaurant version, but it was 100 times better! Maybe it was because I made it with tomatoes, garlic, and eggplant from the local farmers' market, onions and herbs from our garden, and eggs from our #2 daughter's chickens. :)