Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Can Editing be "Fun"?

"Yes" has NEVER been any author's answer! Editing and correcting is particularly painful for me, because I am terrible at catching my own mistakes. 
Still, it must be done. The process is rolling, and I have to roll with it.
I am going to ease the pain by dividing my task into manageable chunks. My plan is to go through my editors' corrections one chapter at a time. That way, I will not wind up having my eyes cross from reading for too long; but I will not have the task so fragmented that it takes months to complete.
Fatal Foodies, do you have any editing/correcting tips?

2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

"Yes" is MY answer! Only a writer can magically change reality with a stroke of a pen or press of a key. :)

As for my editing tips, the best one I know is to read your work aloud to somebody. Nothing focuses your mind on a manuscript's errors and shortcomings like hearing it go from your mouth to somebody else's ears.

Marian Allen
Marian Allen - Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Lisa Hall said...

I'm going to read this one aloud. My audience will not be captivated, but wil be captive! I'll read it to my 4-year-old.