Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Author Visits to Schools

I have posted about doing author vists to schools before, but last week my visit was a bit different. Usually, my visits last anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. Last week, I had the pleasure of spending two days at a local school.
My background is in public education; so I love working in schools! If you would like to plan such a visit, here are a few tips. My advice is based on my experiences as a school employee combined with my experiences as an author:
1) Be aware that schools have limited funds. If money is available,I ask for a small appearance fee. Some schools simply do not have extra funds. I do not turn down those schools, but still sell books to teachers and students.
2) I give $1.00 from each book sold back to the school.
3) I send order forms for books to teachers before my visit. There are two options I give for ordering. I can bring and sign books on day of visit. Or, I can have students take home order forms after my visit. In that scenario I deliver books at a later date.
4) Read your book to students. As you read or after you read, point out things authors do to keep readers' interest, teach lessons, etc.
5) Be prepared! Facing a group of kids can be intimidating if you do not have a plan.
6)  Ask that teachers have the students bring paper and pencils to presentation. That way, you can have them write and share. Getting the kids involved is very important.
7) Be joyful and animated. Your goal is to get the students excited about writing

More tips next week!

No comments: