Monday, August 12, 2013

Tomatoes and okra and Perilous Pranks - by Joyce Lavene

Perilous Pranks
Coming soon!
A novella from the Renaissance Faire Mysteries
By Joyce and Jim Lavene
www.renaissancefairemysteries.com







I love mixing summer vegetables from the garden! My mother used to mix tomatoes and okra, stewing them together with some bacon grease.

My mother loved bacon grease. She thought it was better than ketchup, soy sauce, or any other condiment. She mixed it with everything. And everything she made was good!

But I'm a vegetarian. I could cook up some veggie bacon for that taste, but I've learned that onion and garlic taste good with almost everything too.

So I make stewed tomatoes and okra around this time of year. It's not my husband's favorite - not a big okra fan - but I enjoy it!



Fresh is best for this recipe, but you can use frozen too.

Stewed tomatoes and okra


Chop one small onion and one clove of garlic. Brown in sauce pan. Add one-half cup vegetable broth and two cups chopped okra. Add a lid to the pan and cook over moderate heat for about ten minutes or until okra is tender. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash seasoning. Cover and simmer for another ten minutes on moderate heat.

The vegetables should be tender and the mixture should be thick when it is done.

This is great alone as a side dish or with rice. Some people like it spicy and you can spice it up too.

Enjoy!






2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

After a lifetime of going Ewwwwww about okra, I've come to LOVE it, slime and all. heh! Thanks for the recipe.

We like to toss it with olive oil and seasoned salt and roast it till it's crunchy. :)

Joyce Lavene said...

YUM! Sounds great, Marian! Thanks!