Tuesday, August 13, 2013

One Toque Over The Line

This past weekend, I was privileged to work again under Lana Cullison, a world-class chef, cooking for World on the Square in Corydon, Indiana. After two long, long days, my feet were killing me, but I could have worked longer and been happy.

I'm posting today at my blog about some of the dishes she made and let me help with. She was so generous with her advice, so patient with my ignorance and lack of skill and speed, and so gracious in talking me through doing things she could have done better and faster herself!

Best of all, when it was all done, she presented me with this:
 
It's a toque! A chef's hat! Yes, I know I look like I'm about to take a cleaver to somebody, but that's just the result of trying to take a selfie with a tall hat on my head.

According to Wikipedia, the toque as part of the chef's uniform dates back to the 16th century. The word comes from the Arabic, meaning a round thing with one opening. The hundred folds in the hat signify all the ways a chef knows to cook an egg. !! I know three: Too hard, too soft, and just right.

At any rate, I am very, very proud of my toque. And, just in case you were born after 1971, here's to what the title of this post reefers refers.

2 comments:

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Marian, please tell me you're not in India! What an experience.

Mary Montague Sikes

Marian Allen said...

Alas, no, it's IndiaNA, not India. I love Indian food, though! ~grin~