Friday, July 5, 2013

Thufferin' Thucotash!

Yes, I'm channeling Sylvester the Cat today. This is because I went down the walk to get into the car this morning and--low and behold!--there lay a mouse face and some intestines. That was it. I know this because I bent over to peer down at said face and "stuff" because I was thinking, "What IS that?" So now we both know. Of course, you didn't have to race to your car yelling, "Ewww! Ewww! Ewww!"

So we're all familiar with Mario Puzo's The Godfather and the horse's head in the bed. But what have I done to someone to make him or her put a mouse face on my walk? Is this some kind of warning? A threat? A promise?!

Or was it just a hungry cat?

And now that I've whetted all our appetites, I've decided to post below Martha Stewart's recipe for succotash (which I didn't know what was until I looked it up just now). This is not to be confused with "suffering succotash."

Succotash

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 2 medium zucchini, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 2 ten-ounce packages frozen lima beans, rinsed under warm running water and drained
  • 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (4 ears)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage
  • 1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves
 

Directions

  1. Step 1

    In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add bell peppers, zucchini, lima beans, and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in herbs, and serve.
 
And that's all there is to it. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that any faces you might encounter are friendly and on a living thing.

No comments: