Monday, June 10, 2013

Things to do with those tomatoes - by Ellie Grant

Things to do with those tomatoes
By Ellie Grant
From Plum Deadly
A Pie in the Sky pie shop mystery
www.elliegrant.com 

I write about pie a lot for my upcoming book, PLUM DEADLY. I like pie, but right now, I'm beginning to worry about what to do with all these tomatoes! We've had so much rain here in North Carolina - it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop of tomatoes.




So I'm thinking about what to do with those extra tomatoes. I love them best fresh - on sandwiches slathered with mayonnaise and in salsa. I like to pick them and eat them right out of the garden.

I also enjoy them with other vegetables, like garlic. Here is my recipe for Tomatoes and Garlic.

Tomatoes and Garlic

Ingredients:
12 ripe tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon
 olive oil
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Slice tomatoes and garlic and lay them together on a baking sheet. Drizzle oil on top of these. add Parmesan cheese to taste. Bake on low heat for one hour. Let this cool and place in a covered container.

This is great served with bruschetta and tossed in pasta.

Ellie Grant

Pie in the Sky Mystery Plum Deadly
Coming September 2013
From Gallery Books - Simon and Schuster

Maggie Grady comes home to Durham, North Carolina to help her aunt run the local pie shop off campus of Duke University. She solves mysteries with the help of her Aunt Clara and her boyfriend, Ryan Summerour, who run the local weekly newspaper.

Preorder now!




2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

That sound delicious! We're still waiting on tomatoes, here in Indiana. Do you ever make tomato pie? I've tried it, and it always comes out watery. Yuck!

Joyce Lavene said...

Yeah, mine too. I've never had it where it wasn't watery. It's a good idea but it needs a little something . . .