Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Memories Are Made of Wood

Not a Monty Python reference. Well, okay, yeah, obviously it is a Monty Python reference, but I didn't mean for it to be.

I'm talking about toothpicks.

Shut up! It is not a boring subject!

Actually, it is a boring subject, but I don't care, I'm going to talk about toothpicks anyway. But just a little bit.

My husband and I went to a restaurant the other day, and saw this box of toothpicks, and it gave me such a nostalgia rush, I thought a tornado had come through.

When I was little, I thought mint-flavored toothpicks were the greatest thing ever. Even a bad meal out (and I was a picky eater, so most meals were bad meals) was redeemed by a mint toothpick.

Now, although I grant you that I lead a dead boring life, a mint toothpick doesn't ring any chimes for me in and of itself. But I was tickled to discover how big a kick I got out of remembering how big a kick Little Marian used to get out of pointy bits of wood treated with mint oil.

If you want to spread the delight, you can buy a box of 1000 individually wrapped mint-flavored toothpicks for $1.99, and cheap at the price. Or, if you have more free time than you know what to do with, you can buy plain toothpicks and flavor them yourself.

You're welcome.

p.s. I'm still doing the Story A Day May challenge. Almost half-way there, and I've done a story a day so far. Pop in and read a few, if you're so inclined. So far, none of them are about toothpicks. But I could probably be persuaded, if you ask me nicely.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: