Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I Do Ladoo

I went on a road trip with some friends, one of whom is gluten intolerant, so I wanted to make something fun and gluten-free. I had been introduced to ladoo at another friend's house -- YES, I HAVE MORE THAN ONE FRIEND -- so I thought I'd try making some.

There are a lot of recipes on-line. All of them ask for chickpea flour, which I was able to find. Some of them also require semolina, which is wheat, so those were no-go. Some wanted me to use ghee, which I wasn't about to do. Ghee is made from butter; since I thought my vegan daughter might like some, I couldn't use that.

Okay, so I took a couple of different recipes and came up with this:

Cashew Ladoo
  • 1/2 cup margarine (or ghee or sunflower oil)
  • 1 cup chickpea flour
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • bit of nutmeg
  • 2 Tablespoons dried coconut
  • 1 cup extra-fine sugar
  • chopped cashews and chopped dried apricots
Melt margarine. Stir in chickpea flour, coconut, and spices and heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add sugar and continue to stir for another 5 minutes, until well mixed and fragrant. Add cashews and apricots and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Let cool enough to handle. Form into balls about the size of golf balls. If desired, roll in coconut or powdered sugar or toasted sesame seeds. If too dry to handle, add a bit of water.

Now, my ladoo look good, but they didn't work quite right. Too dry. I did add water, but the ones I didn't add much water to were dry and crumbly, and the ones I added more water to were mishy. Charlie wasn't crazy about the cardamom, so I probably won't try making these again. Alas!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: