Monday, March 25, 2013

Hot Peppers and Chocolate, by J.J. Cook

Hot Peppers and Chocolate
By J.J. Cook
From The Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mysteries
That Old Flame of Mine
www.jjcook.net













The Mayans drank hot chocolate with ground chili peppers in it. I suppose it was just a matter of time before someone thought about putting the chocolate on the outside of a pepper.



I am working on food for a launch party for That Old Flame of Mine next week. Chocolate sauce with peppers sounded good. I think the contrast will be awesome with vanilla ice cream!

It did strike me that you could look at this from two different perspectives. You could buy some chocolate syrup and add peppers to it or you could make your own chocolate syrup.

I decided to go with making chocolate syrup and I'm glad I did. My syrup is much thicker and richer. I also wanted to have dark chocolate syrup. Here is my recipe:


Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to 1/2 cup sugar (or sugar free substitute). Stir together over low heat until thoroughly blended. Add one hot pepper (I'll let you make a decision on this according to how hot you want it). I used the Tennessee Teardrop pepper. Cut the pepper in half. Add the pepper to the mixture along with 16 ounces of dark Baker's Chocolate. All this to simmer, stirring occasionally. Add a teaspoon of vanilla as you are simmering and stirring.

When the chocolate and sugar has melted and mixed, remove the hot pepper and discard (or eat - your choice). Refrigerate until you're ready to use it. You may need to microwave for a few seconds to make it liquid.
Bear in mind that you won't want to give this to young children or anyone with a sensitive palate!

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A COPY OF THAT OLD FLAME OF MINE!

Read more about That Old Flame of Mine

www.joyceandjimlavene.com 


No comments: