Monday, March 4, 2013

Carrot Stew!



Carrot Stew!

Carrot stew, carrot stew! It's our favorite thing to do. Nothing makes our tummies so full and keeps us happy too, 
As a great big pot or a little bitty bowl!
Or a spoonful of carrot stew. 


Remember that song?

I had a lovely, small carrot growing in my greenhouse this week. There wasn't enough of it to do more than eat raw. The tiny carrot was delicious!




Photo: Baby carrot from the greenhouse!


It made me start thinking about carrot stew. Was that even something you could eat?

I looked up a recipe in my old cookbook and here it was. I love carrots so I thought I'd give it a try.


Carrot Stew

You need one large bag of baby carrots (or two small ones), one quart of vegetable broth, one medium onion, minced, 1 clove of garlic, chopped, Salt and pepper.

Saute onion and garlic in a pan with oil, butter or cooking spray. When onions and garlic are clear, add to a stock pot with carrots and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then simmer until carrots are tender.

A friend of mine says she purees the carrots before adding to the broth to give the soup more substance and to her kids don't know it has carrots in it.

I tried it both ways - I have to agree that I like the carrots pureed too, but either recipe was delicious. It was so sunny and warm that it made me feel good all over to eat it!

Enjoy!

Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com

Coming in April:
That Old Flame of Mine
By J.J. Cook
Book #1 in the Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mysteries.




1 comment:

Marian Allen said...

Carrot Stew always makes me think of The Tawny Scrawny Lion. :)