Monday, February 11, 2013

Hush puppies! By Joyce Lavene

Hush puppies are a very favorite comfort food of mine. I can't have them often because they're deep fried and full of calories but once or twice a year, I whip up a batch.



I use my mom's recipe, that she got from her mom, but mine are never quite as good as hers. Food is that way though, don't you think? It's wrapped up in memories and love, impossible to separate. Fortunately, my kids have some foods they remember that way that I made when they were growing up. The circle continues.

Of course, you can get some very good hush puppies at many restaurants in the South. I don't eat BBQ but a little place up the road from us that makes BBQ also fries up some very good hush puppies. Possibly the best hush puppies I've ever had out were from what they used to call 'fish camps' around here in North Carolina. Most of them are gone now.

Fish camps looked and felt a little like you were eating at church. They were in nondescript buildings, long rows of plain wood tables and ladder-back chairs inside. Usually, they were near a creek or a river where the fish were caught fresh before you ate them. They ground up their own slaw, battered and fried the fish. Most of the time, this was all you could get to eat at fish camps. Sometimes they might have some banana pudding but that was about it.

Anyway, here is my recipe (my mom's and grandma's too) for hush puppies.

Mix together two beaten eggs, 1/2 cup sugar (or sweetener to taste) with one large, finely diced, onion in a bowl. Add one cup self rising flour and one cup self rising cornmeal. Mix well. If you live somewhere they don't have self rising products, use baking powder according to directions.

If you have a deep fry, drop the batter into hot oil by the teaspoon. If not, heat up some oil in a pan. Fry until crisp and golden brown. Serve hot.

My husband likes these dipped in Ranch dressing. I like them plain, like we had them as a kid.

Enjoy!

Joyce Lavene

That Old Flame of Mine
Coming April 2013
from J. J. Cook and Berkley Prime Crime
Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mysteries
www.jjcook.net






2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Oh, man, I love me some hush puppies! The best I ever ate was (were?) at a little hole-in-the-wall joint next to the Kokomotel in Kokomo, Indiana. I am not making that up!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Joyce Lavene said...

Love them too, Marian! Don't eat them as much as I'd like.