Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hot Stuff

I had this Pickled Mustard Seed Sauce once and adored it, so I asked for and received the recipe. I made it for myself the other night, and WOAH, NELLIE! It was WAY hotter than I remembered! I'm not sure what I did wrong.

There are many recipes for pickled mustard seeds and for sauce made from them. When I make this again, I'll make some changes.

This recipe is cut from the original, which was enough to supply a restaurant. If you need more, just multiply.

Pickled Mustard Seed Sauce
  • 1/4 cup mustard seeds
  • 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup mayo
  • 1 tsp prepared mustard
  • 1/4 tsp mustard powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Combine mustard seeds, vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in small sauce pan. Bring to bare simmer over low heat, stir briefly to combine. Continue to simmer until mustard seeds are tender but with a toothsome pop, about 30 minutes. WATCH CAREFULLY and add more water if the water simmers away.  Cool to room temperature, then mix with remaining ingredients.

Next time I make these, I'll cook them much lower and for 45 minutes instead of 30. I'll use my own mayonnaise and probably no additional mustard. I might add a little garlic and a touch of ginger, and maybe some orange zest. I'll probably increase the mayonnaise for a milder spread.

Still, it was good! Made me wish I had some beef to spread it on instead of this rather blah cheese.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: