Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Vegetarian Chili Soup

Chili Soup, comfort food of my childhood! We didn't call this chili soup at my house, we just called it chili. I was stunned when I found out other people made chili thick! And without spaghetti!

Here is what I was raised to call chili, except that we used browned ground beef and chili powder, and I used Fantastic World Foods Taco Filling Mix (which is vegetarian):

VEGETARIAN CHILI SOUP
  • spaghetti, broken in pieces and cooked
  • 1 can chili beans or kidney beans
  • 3 cans tomato sauce
  • 2 cans water
  • ground beef (cooked) or vegetarian taco mix

Combine beans, sauce, and water, and bring to boil. Add spiced meat or vegetarian mix and reduce heat. Cook (if using mix) according to package directions. Serve over spaghetti. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, unless you're vegan. Then, don't.


I can hear chili aficionados howling now. To further my apostasy, I like to crumble up soda crackers into it.

Wonderful, on a cold and dreary day!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: