Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Make Due with What You Have

 Making due with what you have is easy if what you have is corn tortillas. I have found a couple of really easy and tasty uses for them.

Last night I wanted to have tacos. I was out of both flour shells and hard corn shells. Not wanting to run out to the store with two kids in the pouring rain, I decided to use something I already had on the shelf.

I keep a bag of corn tortillas to make baked taco chips:
1) cut tortillas into triangles or strips with kitchen scissors
2)  spray baking pan with cooking spray and sprinlke pan with Kosher salt
3) place cut tortillas on pan
4)  spray top side of tortillas with cooking spray and sprinkle with Kosher salt
5) bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until crisp

Instead of chips, I used the corn tortillas to make crispy taco shells last night:
1) heat about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of vegetalbe oil in a skillet (med-high heat)
2) fry one side of tortilla for about twenty seconds
3) flip with tongs and fry other side for about twenty seconds
4) fold tortilla with tongs and continue to fry until golden
5) as tortilla fries, shape it with tongs
6) drain on paper towels (tortilla will crisp as it cools)

I do not like to fry things, so I will be experimenting with ways to bake crispy corn tortillas. If I find something that works, I will let you know!

3 comments:

Brenda_B_B said...

Good call! My favorite thing to make when I'm out of almost everything is potato, egg and cheese tacos. Beats plain oatmeal!

Oddly, I found this today http://bit.ly/ahoy-foodies and wondered how DULL it must have been for those voyagers to eat the same gruel day in and out.

Brenda_B_B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marian Allen said...

I found a link for baked crispy corn tortillas on the wonderful Lifehacker site. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes