Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Savoury Cheese Toast

I spelled that right, mah fellah Amurrkins: I got this recipe from a British cookbook -- or, as they say in Great Britain, a cookery book. Savoury Cheese Toast is what I cookeryed.

One of my ex-sons-in-law gave me this book, which had been used in a school in England. I don't know if it had been discarded or if some Artful Dodger lifted it, but it made its way to me, and I am utterly delighted with it. It says things like, "Put a kettle on to boil," and, "Use a section of kitchen roll to spread the fat." It has instructions on how to cover a pudding for steaming and how to grill tomatoes. It's lovely!

Okay, so here's their recipe:

SAVOURY CHEESE TOAST
  • 200 g Cheddar, Lancashire, or Cheshire cheese
  • 4 thick slices of bread
  • Butter
  • 1/2 level tsp. dry mustard or a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper
  • A little milk to mix
  1. Grate cheese on to plate, using large holes of grater.
  2. Toast the bread, butter it and keep warm on a large serving plate under the grill, turning this very low.
  3. Put the cheese in a basin, add seasonings and stir in enough milk to make a spreadable mixture. Turn up grill
  4. Pile on toast, taking it right to the edges.
  5. Put the toast back under a hot grill and cook for a few minutes, until golden and bubbly.
What I did differently:

There are only two of us, so I used two pieces of bread. I probably used about two cups of cheese, using a mixture of sharp cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, asiago, and Romano. I used a li'l squirt of yellow American mustard, and I used water instead of milk to moisten it.

It was so good!

If you want a copy of this cookery book for your very own, there are some used ones at Amazon.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: