Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Swimming In Comfort

We've had beautiful weather, but it turned chilly, and I wanted comfort food. Food containing the four major food groups: fat, starch, salt, and chemicals. Nothing better than Tuna Noodle Casserole!

Some snooty-patooties make this with, like, fresh tuna, artisanal pasta, pan-fried fresh mushrooms in bechamel sauce, and so forth, but it really goes like this:

TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
  • cooked spaghetti cut in bits
  • can of cream of mushroom soup
  • onion powder
  • 1/2 can of peas (or whole can, if preferred)
  • crushed saltine crackers
  • cubed Velveeta or other processed cheese-like substance

Mix and heat through until the Velveeta melts.

To my shame, I didn't have any Velveeta, and had to use rat cheese ... er, I believe the proper name for it is Colby, but I was raised to call it rat cheese.

YES, you need the crackers, even though it has spaghetti in it. AND you need the peas. Three starches are always better than one. Besides, the peas let you imagine you're eating something healthy.

Or make it all fancy-schmancy. Just enjoy it, that's all I ask.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Yum!

Marian Allen said...

Hey, you know what? I left out the main ingredient: ONE CAN OF TUNA, DRAINED!!!!!

Serves me right for being practically a vegetarian. :/

MA