Monday, November 19, 2012

Apple Raisin Stuffing for Thanksgiving By Joyce Lavene

Apple Raisin Stuffing

I grew up in a German household and this is the type of dressing we always ate for Thanksgiving. My great-grandmother made it when I was very small. It passed to my grandmother after that. When my mother passed away, I became the stuffing maker.

The recipe has changed during the years. My kids are adults but they still don't like the large pieces of celery and onion my mother always used. I substitute onion powder and celery seed.

When I became a vegetarian, I stopped using turkey broth and substituted a veggie gravy mix. I still add poultry seasoning.

This stuffing smells wonderful when it is baking and holds up very well for leftovers. I even like it cold! I enjoy thinking about helping the women in my family making this down through the years. My daughter helps me now, with her daughter at her side.

I think I need to get some boys in here too!

Into a large bowl, add 1/4 cup chopped onion (or two tablespoons onion powder), one stick of chopped celery ( or one tsp. celery seed), one cup of diced, chopped and peeled apple, 1/2 cup of raisins, 1/2 cup turkey gravy (or 1 package veggie gravy mixed with water as directed). Add 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper (unless you use gravy mix) and 1/4 tsp. sage and poultry seasoning. Last, add three cups of bread, either cubed or pulled into small pieces.

I have seen recipes similar to this that require sauteing. I don't do this. After the mixture is well blended, I put it all into a baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree over. The apples still have a little snap. I like it that way.

I make a lot more stuffing than this each Thanksgiving because as our family has grown with children and in-laws who gather around our table, so other people have grown to love this stuffing.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Joyce Lavene
A Haunting Dream
December 4th
www.joyceandjimlavene.com

No comments: