Monday, October 1, 2012

Pumpkin Soup! Yum!


    Pumpkin Soup! 
    By Joyce Lavene
    www.joyceandjimlavene.com 




    If it seems like I'm really into pumpkin right now, you're right. It's fall and I can hardly think about anything else. I made pumpkin muffins and pumpkin pancakes over the weekend. Now I'm thinking pumpkin soup.
    Pumpkin soup is easy, tastes great, and is good for you. It's delicious by itself or with some good bread, baked until crispy in the oven.
    I use pumpkin puree for my soup because I like it better than real pumpkin in recipes.
    This is how I make it:
    Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add one small onion, finely chopped. Let cook until tender. You could also use a few teaspoons of onion powder if you're in a hurry or someone doesn't like the onion bits (it happens at my house). 
    Mix one 8 ounce can of pumpkin puree into the pot with the onions. Add 1 cup of vegetable broth, 1 cup of hot water, 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and nutmeg or two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Stir in one cup of milk - heat but don't let it boil.
    Ready to eat! Garnish with a few pumpkin seeds or a dollop of cream, if you like.
    See? Quick and easy!
    My new Peggy Lee garden mystery will be out this week! Buried By Buttercups is Peggy's new adventure, available at Amazon.
    www.peggyleegardenmysteries.com 


No comments: