Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Let Your Writing Lead you to a Cause

Even NASCAR gets into pink! As most of you probably know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This photo was taken by my husband at Talladega last year.

I am so blessed that neither my mother, grandmothers, nor I have battled breast cancer. Double is the blessing, because if any of us ever are diagnosed, we have access to good medical care.

October is filled with opportunities to support women with breast cancer, celebrate with those who have beat it and to raise money for those who cannot afford mamograms and treatment.

I brought this cause to my books by the third installment in my series. Since the friendships and kinships of women is such a big theme in my books, I felt like the topic of breast cancer had to be addressed.

Having one of my characters battle breast cancer has given way to my getting to know more about this disease. I have researched the topic to make my writing more medically accurate. Best of all, I have had the privelege of talking to survivors to gain a personal perspective on the battle against breast cancer.   

Last week, I attended a meeting about our upcoming local  Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I attended with my neighbor, whose sister is currently battling her second bout of breast cancer. On race day, I will be selling books at the site of Team Queen's (named for my neighbor's sister, Noreen Queen) tailgate. A percentage of my proffits for the past few weeks and up through race day (October 21) will be going to Team Queen. 

When I began writing my series, I never knew it would lead me to a casue, but I am so glad it did! Has your writing led you to a cause? Could it?

No comments: