Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Food, Pro and Con

Food -- I'm all for it. Not to excess, of course, although what constitutes "excess" is often a matter of debate.

The meaning of my title, though, is to praise the Con Suite at Context science convention, which I attended this weekend. I don't know if it's something in the air in Columbus, Ohio, or what, but Marcon and Context, which both take place there (at different hotels) have outstanding Con Suites.

If you don't know, here's your chance to learn something: A Con Suite is a suite of rooms at a convention that's set up as a point of gathering and hospitality (they're sometimes called Hospitality Suites) for convention-goers.

Food, coffee, and soft drinks are provided free of charge. Talk is also free, and there's never a shortage of that.

The one at Context posts times the food is expected to arrive and what that food is expected to be. Sometimes an expected item doesn't materialize, but more often people donate unexpected bounties, like chocolate/jalapeƱo tarts. (No, I didn't try one.) Also bacon/maple tarts. (Yes, and they were sinfully good.)

We had freshly cooked pancakes and sausage links. We had a wide selection of cheeses (I don't mean cheddar/Swiss/Cojack, I mean Brie, blue, Camembert, on and on) and veggies. We had bacon and egg croissants. We had lovely little skewers threaded with mozzarella balls, dried tomatoes (preserved in oil), ripe olives, and artichoke hearts.

The food alone was worth the price of the convention!

I did more than just eat, though, which I'm blogging about at MarianAllen.com today. Come and see. :)

Marian Allen

2 comments:

Lucy said...

The jalapeno tarts were really good. Mostly chocolate with a strong raspberry flavor and a hint of spiciness.

Marian Allen said...

If I see them again, I'll try them, then. People keep telling me that this or that jalapeno thing is "not that spicy", and I don't know whether or not to believe that. One person's "not that spicy" is another person's 5-alarm. lol

MA