Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Soup That Can't Be Beet

Ah, but it IS beet. Borscht, in fact.

Daughter #4 had borscht for the first time the other day, and I was reminded of how much I like this unlikely soup. Unlikely for me, that is, since I've hated beets all my life, up until this year. My beet-hatin' tastebuds apparently died of old age, and I decided I liked them, after all.

But I've liked borscht for some decades, now.

Exactly what, I hear you ask, is borscht?

It's a Russian soup made from meat stock (usually beef or pork), chopped cooked beets, vegetables, and a garnish of sour cream and dill weed. Here is a good recipe for it from Cooks.com.

If you don't like beets, and you have some, try making some borscht with them. If you're vegetarian, you can use veg broth instead of meat broth. If you're a serious carnivore, you can put in some meat along with the meat broth and vegetables.

As Bullwinkle J. Moose once said of borscht, "You can't beet soup."

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: