Tuesday, September 25, 2012

You Write Things, You Learn Something

I was looking for something to post about, so I typed food quotes into a search engine. I clicked on the fourth or fifth entry The Quotations Page, and went to the second page. There, I found this:

available from Amazon in print and for Kindle
When I walk into my kitchen today, I am not alone. Whether we know it or not, none of us is. We bring fathers and mothers and kitchen tables, and every meal we have ever eaten. Food is never just food. It's also a way of getting at something else: who we are, who we have been, and who we want to be.

Molly Wizenberg, A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table, 2009
True, that.

My husband loves bean soup, cornbread and green onions, food he grew up on. I grew up on meat an' taters, but marriage to him and the influence of vegetarians/vegans in the family have taught me that meat is better if it's scarce, and veg are various and delish.

All our picky eaters have grown up and have developed wide-ranging tastes. I wonder if I ever walk into their kitchens with them? I like to think I do, and in a good way. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

Joyce Lavene said...

Love the quote about food! So true.