Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Farmers' Market Feast

Saturday was the Farmers' Market, and Charlie and I scored big. Two of the things we got were some beautiful green beans and a small but plump white eggplant. Here's what I did with them:


The Green Beans
I simmered them in salted water for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, I toasted some sliced mushrooms in a dry pan. Then I took the mushrooms out. I put some garlic-flavored olive oil in and added some large fresh sage leaves and cooked those, turning when necessary, until they were crisp. Took them out to drain on a paper towel. Put the mushrooms and green beans back into the pan and cooked until the green beans were crisp-tender and a little blistered. Put them on a plate, topped with shredded Italian cheeses, garnished with the toasted sage leaves.

The Eggplant
Cut it in two, rubbed it with olive oil, sprinkled it with Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt, cooked it on a contact grill for about 10 minutes, tops, until it was blackened on the outside, tender on the inside.

A feast fit for Vegans Eat Pencil Shavings! (Well, except the cheese....)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: