Monday, September 17, 2012

Fall At last - Pumpkin Bread

Okay,so I know it's not really quite fall, but I get hopeful when the 90 degree weather is gone and those sweet September breezes start to blow. The leaves are turning yellow and red, the good apples are back and there are PUMPKINS!



I LOVE pumpkins! I love everything about them from the way they look to the way they taste. Maybe it's because I love fall so much. I don't know.

I am using pumpkin puree for this recipe. Fresh pumpkin isn't as good for this or pumpkin pie. Pumpkins are really bred to be Jack O Lanterns these days. You can buy what they call a 'pumpkin pie' pumpkin but they are very expensive. Pumpkin puree from the can has what I think of as a real pumpkin taste.

So here we go:

You'll need one and a half cups of flour, pinch of salt, one cup sugar or Splenda, one cup pumpkin puree, one teaspoon baking soda (unless you have self rising flour), one half cup shortening or oil, one quarter cup milk. Spices: one half teaspoon nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice OR three teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Two eggs. You can also add nuts and raisins to this, if you like.

Easy directions: Mix everything together in a big bowl by hand. Don't use a mixer. Grease a bread loaf pan. Pour all of it inside. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 or 50 minutes. Makes one loaf.

Enjoy!

Look for our newest mystery in October! Buried By Buttercups is the next Peggy Lee Garden Mystery! www.peggyleegardenmystery.com

Joyce Lavene
www.facebook.com/joyceandjimlavene
 

1 comment:

Gayle said...

I love pumpkin bread! Thanks for sharing this!