Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Day With A Top Chef

World on the Square was this past Saturday, and again Chef Lana Cullison prepared masses of food. This year, I got to help!

I cut the stems off broccoli, then she said to cut off the tough end of the stem (which she called a rabe), and then slice them thinly on the diagonal. She cooked those stems and put them in one of the dishes. I was so excited! I do that, too! I didn't know I was being cheffy; I thought I was being cheap!

Meanwhile, Mom sliced carrots. Here, you can see the broccoli florets, celery, onions, and garlic on the Asian tray.

Meanwhile, Lana and her assistant worked on the chickens. They were trussed, spiced, packed into roasters, and cooked (I'm talking about the chickens, here, not Lana and her assistant), and then we pulled the meat off the bones for Lana to divide between (or is it among?) the various international dishes.

In the foreground are some of the many squash that were donated by people in the community, and a colander filled with cilantro, parsley, and green onions (or scallions, if you want to be that way).

Lana let me use her professional chef's knife, with which I disproved the aphorism, "The sharper the knife, the less likely the cook is to cut himself." Maybe that's only true for boy cooks. I was mincing away at the parsley when -- you're way ahead of me -- I tagged my thumb.

"WHOO!" I separated knife from target as if somebody had pulled a trigger. Parsley flew in a cloud.

LANA: What happened?
ME: I cut myself.
LANA: Are you hurt badly?
ME: I'm okay, but look at all the parsley I wasted!

I slapped a bandaid on it, cleaned up the parsley, and went on with the work.

I passed the chef test. :)

Here's a picture of the cilantro and surviving parsley, and Lana with a lemon. Also the perp -- I mean prep -- knife. We used lemons and oranges in some of the dishes, the zest and the fruit.

Delicious dishes. I got pictures of most of them, which I'll post on my blog tomorrow.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

Joyce Lavene said...

Congratulations, Marian! You persevered despite your boo-boo!