Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Whoa! Don't let the Kiddies Watch.


As one of the few people in the world who have not read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or its two follow-ups, I was beginning to feel as though I had been left out of some huge club. Everywhere I went, people were talking about the trilogy. Because I like to read, many assumed that I was familiar with the books. 
Most told me that they liked the books, but said that the intensity of the writing combined with tremendous amounts of information and detail made them a somewhat difficult read. I do not think that anyone meant to say that they were difficult in a way that meant "not worth reading", but difficult as in "takes some concentration."   
These days, I hardly have an uninterruped thought. Taking on a lengthy and deep novel is something I might consider after my youngest gets out of the toddler stage. By that time being in the "I've Read  Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" club would be so passe. I know,  it is already passe, because everyone I know is now reading Fifty Shades of Grey.
I could no longer put off my curiosity about the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I took a shameful shortcut and watched the movie. It was a great, get-in-your-mind-and-not-let-you-sleep kind of story. The story was awesome, but the movie had some uber-graphic scenes. If you take the shortcut, and watch the movie, be sure the kids are nowhere nearby! Some of the depictions are seriously disturbing.
Now, I do want to know what happens in the next two books of the trilogy. I cannot decide how I want to find out what happens. The movie might not be out for a while. So, do I tackle the book or wait for the movie?    
             

2 comments:

Sara Thompson said...

I cheated and watched the original movie. I haven't seen this remake but I have heard they made some changes to the story line.
You can watch the whole trilogy if you don't mind subtitles.

Lisa Hall said...

Sara, may try that. I am anxious to know what happens in the next two books.