Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Robbed of Cobb

Some of my fellow Southern Indiana Writers and I went to the Fandom Fest this past weekend. It was held at an old and prestigious landmark hotel on the Louisville waterfront. What we should have realized is that "old and prestigious" = $$$$

I don't even want to talk about the parking fee, so don't ask. No, just don't. I mean it.

ANYWAY, what I want to say is that the best value for money, food-wise, was Thelma's Deli's "Cobb" Salad. I put "Cobb" in quotation marks because it wasn't really a Cobb Salad. It was good, but it wasn't The Real Deal, like this one from Saymmm.com:

Avocado -- We no could haz
According to What's Cooking America, Cobb Salad was thrown together by Bob Cobb, manager of The Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood. He told Sid Grauman about it; Grauman asked for one, loved it, and spread the word.

True Cobb Salad is made from avocado, celery, tomato, chives, watercress, hard-boiled eggs, chicken, bacon, and Roquefort cheese. Ours had no avocado, celery, chives, avocado, watercress, Roquefort cheese, or avocado. Did I mention there was no avocado? Ours did have lots of mixed greens, including chard one day and spinach another day, cucumbers, and cheddar cheese.

It was very good, and was substantial enough to last us from lunch through dinner until we got home after 10:00. Well worth the money.

But no avocado. Alas.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

Sara Thompson said...

I feel that for a salad to be called a Cobb salad it needs bacon, blue cheese and avocado. Otherwise, it's just not the same. Hard boiled egg comes in a close 4th as a requirement but I can do without if I have to.
I didn't know there were other defining ingredients but those.