Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Quest to be Old Mother Hubbard

I am letting my cupboard go bare. Unlike Old Mother Hubbard, a bare cupboard will be a welcome sight to me. Since our vacation is later this month, I am trying to cook from the food we have in the cabinets, refrigerator, garden and freezer rather than buying lots of stuff at the grocery store. That way, I will not have food expiring while we are gone. So far, trips to the store have mostly been for things like milk and eggs. Also, if I plan a meal based on an ingredient that is on-hand, I have picked up what I need to make the recipe. For example, I bought a can of tomatoes and green chilies, taco shells, refried beans, and taco seasoning when I went to the store yesterday. Using cooked ground beef from my freezer, cheese and sour cream from the refrigerator and garden tomatoes; I will serve slow-cooker tacos with toppings. Best of all, yesterday's shopping resulted in a bill that was only about $15. The recipe will make enough to feed my family for 2-3 meals. Realizing how much this can cut down on wasted food and our grocery budget, I think I will try a modified version of this practice on a more regular basis. For one week out of each month, I will only buy thing like milk and eggs, forcing myself to use food I already have. Here is my slow-cooker taco recipe: 1 lb cooked ground beef 1 can refried beans 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies 1 packet taco seasoning 2 cups of cheddar, monteray jack or Velveeta cheese Combine everything but cheese. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in cheese during last 30 minutes of cooking time. Use for nachos, hard tacos or soft tacos. This also makes a nice dip for tortilla chips.

No comments: